Date:
Tue, 23 Feb 2010 20:58:59 -0600
To all (not just Bob)

>I second the concern that it's possibly too cold for baggie feeders._perhaps_ if the syrup is warm when placed the cluster can stay intact and get to the syrup.

Those were my thoughts, too, but Bob asked about baggies.

>If we were advising a newbee, it would be different

Because the discussion had moved to syrup vs dry sugar I saw an opportunity to present my conditions which included a similar situation and I am a stone's throw from Bob. I don't suppose for a minute that I know anything about bees that Bob doesn't know but since I already have syrup and dry on some hives here in the KC area, I thought Bob and others might find my situation useful to the discussion and his decision.  I explained my methods not so much for Bob necessarily but for others. This is a public forum.

My experience with baggies in cold weather (below 30F which it is here in Mo) the bees won't use it (my syrup is way closer to my bees than baggies can get right now) and with Bob's situation in mind, the bags can't be filled too full or they may leak on the cluster (I have had that happen but luckily not this cold) which means if they are half filled, I don’t think they will provide much immediate food for the bees (unless our weather moderates) for the effort he described to get this food to the hives. I believe he can get more food on, it being immediately available to the bees and easier labor for him if he uses dry sugar. Just my opinion, and just one opinion.

I hope I didn't offend anyone, especially Bob since he is in my Beekeepers Association and a great local resource for our club. It is difficult writing to this group because the experience is so varied but I have followed discussions here that were not very user friendly for less experienced beeks and I didn't want to do that. I probably couldn't write a book on what to do to keep bees but I could fill a book on what not to do!

Roger
Independence, Mo