Date:
Thu, 16 Sep 2010 08:09:30 -0600
> So, my view is that it is not a treatment.  Rather, it is a feeding
> stimulant. ... Update: In my post above I made reference to EO, either in
> HBH or homemade, not helping to control Varroa.  I was curious and went to
> the HBH website to read what is claimed for the product.  The only thing I
> saw was that it is ........ a feeding stimulant.  Am I losing my mind,
> because I could swear that, years ago, the claims were that EO in syrup
> somehow 'confused' mites, and they did not make it into the cells...

There is a difference in the treatment of feeds and pesticides by
regulators.   Those who use EOs generally are wise to describe them as
spices or feed stimulants rather than as pesticides.

Additionally, making a marketing claim which is hard to prove or for an
effect which is marginal generates controversy and brings the brand into
question.  It can also attract attention from regulators who insist than
claims be proven and also wonder if the product should go through pesticide
approval processes.

On the other hand, marketing as a feed stimulant containing only GRAS
flavour ingredients and allowing people to believe what they will about its
ability to reduce mite loads is a good strategy.

Personally I was repelled by the early claims, but find the current
representations interesting.