From:
Salemson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Mar 1995 01:18:17 -0500
>1. Does anyone have any knowledge of any study pertaining
>    to bees that use water from a waste treatment facility?
>    Would any heavy metals be possibly transferred to the hive
>     or the honey?

My sense is that bees are themselves fairly good filters.  If harmful
substances are present in water or any other substance collected, the
foragers will likely succumb before reaching the hive, or be so
disoriented that they will be evicted from the hive before unloading
occurs.  A good general overview of honey bee poisoning--including
discussion of specific pesticides but not, as far as I can tell, heavy
metals in water--is E. Laurence Atkins, "Injury to Honey Bees by
Poisoning" in _The Hive and the Honey Bee_ (1992 ed.).

Dan Salemson
North Carolina State University