From:
Chris Slade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Dec 2011 13:25:48 -0500

I was asked recently to give a lesson on bees/beekeeping to the top class (10 year olds) at the village school.  I went armed with bee-suit as an attention grabber, but didn't wear it as it was too hot, skep, honeycomb, large pictures of bees and hives, a slab of wax, some empty natural comb, a jar of honey, a jar of live bees (with the lid well stuck on!) and a comb of honey I had taken from a top bar hive the previous day.  I got the teacher to cut it into 32 pieces; one for each of us including her and me.

It was so funny!  30 kids simultaneously on a sugar high!  We had to have a 2 minute break while they raced around the playground.  I explained about bee dances and got one girl to perform the round and the figure of eight dances, explaining how they work.  I had aimed for 40 minutes and completed what I had to say in that time, but the kids asked questions for another 20 minutes.  They must have been interested.

Chris