Reply To:
Discussion of Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jun 1996 13:06:08 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (29 lines)
In a message dated 96-06-07 07:12:50 EDT, Laura Downey, Anne Arundel County,    
Maryland, USA writes:                                                           

>Regarding secondary swarms, when it occurs, do the bees leave to join the      
>original swarm, or do they take the remaining queen with them, thereby         
>leaving the hive in a queenless state?                                         

Generally they leave with a virgin queen (or two or three - they don't       
seem as prone to fight until swarming is over)  I checked an afterswarm         
today, that I found a couple weeks ago in a stack of supers.  They were         
queenless, so the virgin apparently didn't get mated.                           

I have seen swarms merge when both are on the same branch at the same        
time, but I would doubt that any swarm will join with an established colony.    

Afterswarms here have a high mortality rate.  They are small, and the        
spring flow, being over, a lot starve.  Others lose out in the mating.  In      
other areas where there may be a good flow, they may come on just fine.         

A higher percentage of our late nucs are queenless than usual.  We also      
have an abundance of dragonflies this year, so that may account.                

[log in to unmask]    Dave Green,  PO Box 1200,  Hemingway,  SC                 
29554                                                                           

Practical Pollination Home Page            Dave & Janice Green                  
http://users.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html                                   

ATOM RSS1 RSS2