From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Mar 2008 15:15:58 -0600
Hello All,
I purchased a used laboratory Bioscope today. Made by Bioscope Manufacturing
Co. in Tulsa , Oklahoma. The unit I have got is the model 60.

The lab wholesaler I purchased the bioscope from had a general idea of how
it
works but I would love to hear from a bee L. member which has used the
bioscope. I was a bit leery of the purchase but the bioscope looks like new
and the only replacement parts are the bulb (general electric with the GE
number on the case) and the transformer ( which are not hard to find).
Light and transformer are working.

For those not familiar with the bioscope the bioscope is a microscope
(10/20/40 power with a add on piece which provides another 10 power. The
bioscope has two enhance filters which I have no idea what they are for.
They swing between the slide and the lens if you want a filter.

A picture of a newer bioscope in use is in my American Bee Journal article
on AHB in Florida. I looked through my ABJ's in the office and did not see
the issue. I would guess March or April 2005.

There are no eye pieces on the bioscope. You simple place the slide in place
and the bioscope projects the picture on a white back ground. The way mine
is designed I would not be surprised you could not project on a screen.
wing venation?

Too busy right now to play with my new piece of lab equipment but would love
to learn all about the tool. Email me direct if not wanting to post on the
list. I am running a few days behind on answering emails but will catch up
maybe tomorrow if we get the big snow storm they are predicating.

The bioscope is portable and built into a case
(about the size of a lab dissecting scope).  Not small but manageable. I
have got a hook up for 110 volt
on the bee truck so I might could use in the field . I use for the bee vac.

I really liked the bioscope which Jerry Hayes let me try out at the Florida
Apiary service. The Florida lab let me run some AHB samples. I learn quicker
in the drivers seat as opposed to simply looking over a shoulder.

Slide
preparation and making precise measurements was the key to using the Florida
bioscope. However their bioscope was hooked into their computer which
recorded all calculated all wing venation measurement. The bioscope
projected the bee wing on a piece of white background and the operator
simple placed the pointer on different parts of the wing and clicked the
mouse. The computer did the rest. Then a number was produced by the computer
and when compared to a scale you figure the percent of AHB.

The Florida lab also showed me how you could do wing venation without the
computer and only using measurements.

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison

--