Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 2010 10:15:49 -0400
Thanks all for the posts regarding stings and allergies/reactions.
I've been thinking about it more. I do think it was a reaction to the
stings, & probably influenced/mediated by the temp/caloric intake
somewhat. And perhaps sting locale - I swear one of them felt like it
was shot straight into a vein. When I searched for "bee sting stomach
cramps" I came across several webpages listing that as an allergic
reaction to bee stings, so someone else out there has also
experienced this. Also, its plausible that a precipitous drop in
blood pressure from a histamine response may induce stomach cramping
and diarrhea. Most of the stings were to my unexposed arms. I may
think of finally getting a suit - I've only used a veil all these
years, and usually work in a t-shirt. I wear rubber surgical gloves
when working the bees, mostly because it makes clean-up easier. I
wear gloves as part of my job (in a lab), so I'm pretty comfortable
with using them for just about anything that might get my hands dirty.

I've always kept an epipen at the house - I may just keep it closer
the next few times I go out to the bee yard. But I hope that the
finding below that "... most subjects who reported important
reactions to stings at some point, also reported less intense
reactions to subsequent stings" applies to me.

Kurt

Interesting work done on bee sting allergy in Spain

Clinical and Experimental Allergy, 1997, Volume 27, pages 418-423
The natural history of Apis-specific IgG and IgG4 in beekeepers
J. C. GARCIA-ROBAINA, et al
Department of Allergy, Canary Islands, Spain