From:
Keith Malone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Nov 2004 11:32:10 -0900
Hi Dick, Scott, & All,

Scott M. wrote in part;
> Keith malone has been pioneering over-wintering in alaska.

There are others also working on this challenging task.

Scott continues;
> He's developing
> sustainable beekeeping practices and breeding from the hives that make it
> through winter.

I will not claim complete success just yet.

> I know he is having success and is very serious about his
> work.

I think I am having success possibly in finding the hardy genetics I need for
breeding a hardy better bee for South-Central Alaska where I keep bees in part
by not wrapping hive bodies.

> If I recall correctly, he said he does not recommend wrapping and that
> hives that were ventilated (especially top ventilated) more than not did
> best.

My recommendation for those wintering up here in South-Central is to wrap
lightly with such wrappings as tar paper, Reflectix, the "hive wrap insulation"
found at Betterbee that I have seen winter colonies very well the same as I have
seen Reflectix do. You can see the "hive wrap insulation" at this URL;
http://www.betterbee.com/products.asp?dept=528 , and Reflectix at this URL;
http://www.reflectixinc.com/ Reflectix can be purchased from many hardware
stores for the purpose of insulating pipes and ducts as well as walls.

I have not used ventilated bottom boards but I do recommend a lot of
ventilation, do not be afraid to open the bottom up and have a good slot in the
inner cover. I would think if using a ventilated bottom board that a top vent
would not be necessary. What ever as long as air can come in and out freely.

Now Dick A. wrote in part;
> What I find amusing is
> some of you folks in the *south* telling beekeepers in the *north* they don't
need to wrap.

I have not recommended to those wintering in the interior not wrap but maybe to
wrap lightly if inside wintering or heavy wrap were used unsuccessfully. Some
strains if wrapped heavy or kept to warm can eat them selves out of house and
home through a long winter. At any rate I think genetics needs to be developed.

> For those of you who like reading studies, a paper in 1971 from the USDA came
out titled "The
> Thermology of Wintering Honey Bee Colonies". It can be read on some beeekeping
sites. Here's
> one:
>
> http://www.beesource.com/pov/usda/thermology/techbulletin1429.htm

An excellent study demonstrating in part how a colony cluster does not try to
heat the interior of a hive but merely tries to maintain heat in the cluster.

> >"........over-wintering in alaska....does not recommend wrapping...."
>
> Most people in Alaska who do overwinter or attempt to do wrap their hives.

One reason at present that I am not wrapping hives is because wrapping can
enable a colony that has boarder line or weak wintering genetics to winter
through and in turn pollute a gene pool.

Now there is more to wintering a colony than just wrapping or insulating it.
Here are some thoughts of mine I think will help wintering in local areas.
Strain of bees used, use a strain best suited for your local. If you have true
feral bee survivors I think it best to use them instead of importing.
Timing for feeding if you do feed.
Leave the clusters sanctuary intact and arranged as the bees arranged it or
arrange it as the bees would have when combining colonies.
Bees need fresh air and a way to exhaust old air, do not choke the cluster
thinking you need to retain heat for them.
The cluster will maintain the clusters heat not the interior heat of the hive.
I would think that no matter where you keep bees that top insulation would be
beneficial for keeping the top cool in summer and keeping the inside top warm
and dry in the winter. For where I keep bees I feel that top insulation is
mandatory.
Breed from the best colonies you have to improve wintering and acclimatizing
genetics.
I think insecticides have absolutely no place going into a hive where honey bees
are kept, this in it self should enable better wintering in the future by
helping the bees to keep their memory intact and organize more efficiently.
If unsuccessful wintering, keep trying. Try new things or come up with ideas on
your own you think might help. Keep searching for answers from others that are
successful.

 . ..   Keith Malone, Chugiak, Alaska USA, http://www.cer.org/,
c(((([ , Apiarian, http://takeoff.to/alaskahoney/,