From:
Geoff Manning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 May 2018 16:17:52 +1000
 Catherine Edwards asked.

> I was wondering about AFB resistance - what is the mechanism of that
> resistance - how does it manifest?

Mostly through the cleaning genes.

> If a hive has a very few cells that show signs of AFB, is it possible for
> it to go into remission and overcome the disease?

Into remission yes.  If the bees remove diseased brood before it has broken
down into the gloopy mess. And assuming plenty of fresh nectar coming in.

> if so, might the disease
> manifest again when the hive encounters stress such as a dearth period

As the disease is mostly passed on via robbed honey it will show as soon as
the bees start consuming said stored honey.

> How likely is it that a hive near one with AFB will also become diseased
> through drift rather than robbing out a dead/dying hive?

AFB is not contagious.  Deadly when caught. The spores have to be fed to the
larvae.  Think Aids, the infected blood has to be contacted by the person.

Drifting is not regarded as being of much importance, unless the drifting
bees are themselves robbing an infected hive.  If infected honey is stored
then it may be a long time before the hive will break down.  If extracted it
may never be a problem if the honey is not heavily infected.