Date:
Fri, 26 Oct 2007 02:34:31 GMT
>>That wasn't an average. It was a few exceptional hives in an exceptional year. Over the years my average is about 45lbs.  The good year it was 60lb and this year probably <20.

I assume this is mostly due to your local weather conditions since it's been mentioned here that Amm outproduces other bees there.

I wonder if an unlimited broodnest would increase your yields - has it been tried?  They will raise more brood vertically than horizontally.

I was somewhat skeptical about the info at first but tried it this year and saw my yields double to an average of about 265 lbs.  I saw great increases in a course of 2-3 days with so many bees. [Made keeping the nests from getting flooded with nectar tricky.  Two empty medium at a time ahead of time were helpful.]  Rainy weather influnce seemed greatly lessened.

The above figure includes 40lb after a migratory move to goldenrod which failed miserably due to a late season drought.  In a favorable goldenrod season, my guess is they could bring in 100-200 lbs here.  They have brought up to 120 lbs to a double deep with an excluder.

Waldemar
Long Island, NY