From:
Charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jul 2018 14:08:10 -0500
> It is in our interest to have a diverse population and the trait that matters is the ability to resist pests and parasites.
> Measured by who and what yardstick???

You're right Charles, not everyone is interested in that. Some prefer just the opposite: heavily inbred bees that fall prey to any minor pest that floats down the breeze.

That’s a 100% non answer!   Define "fall prey" there is zero data of an sort of value to show that current lines are not as "viable" or are somehow genetically weaker and more susceptible to problems.

I am quite pretty you would cite Seeleys work and ferals,  but that is in no way an indicator of genetic involvement but a marker of lack of exposure.

The conclusion that somehow "genetic purebreds" from any place or another are capable of handling the stresses of modern beekeeping and viral loads is pure fantasy and speculation.  In fact there are a lot of test that have been done showing the exact opposite,  that the bees in question collapse the same or worse when put in the domestic profiles of a pollinator.

Your assertion that our current bees are inbreed is not supported by research,  the assortment of Alleles has been tested and found sufficient,  and the theory that they are falling prey to 'Minor pest"  that somehow would not affect some "pure strain is very odd at best.

So define  "minor pest"
Define   "inbreed genetics"

And show work that indicates there are problems that some pure Carnis from the old world would solve the problem.  Many researchers have seriously tested the idea, in bees,  and in many other stocks.  Its  writer Fantasy as far as I can see.   There are some cases in Dogs,  but even the works you cited show that is way off the mark in bees.

We in beekeepers like to spread wonderful sounding platitudes like the "fall Prey to minor pest" line,  that and many more make me wonder what we are thinking  we make general comments that sound great,  but are way off from reality.  Unfortunately a lot of people who don’t actually know are paying attention.

Charles