From:
Ted Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Apr 2008 16:51:25 -0400
On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 04:38:56 -0500, Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>While listening to the import discussion CD from the national convention (
>Aphis speaker) I heard a queen breeder admit to bringing in semen from
>Europe. Could not virus be brought in with semen? The next speaker was
from
>Aphis and he said bringing in semen needed Aphis approval.

 Hi Bob,

A few weeks you wrote:

"The queens Dave is getting are from Terry
Brown ( different Australian package producer than used last year and the
producer I have followed from the first import). Terry brown has constantly
been importing the best queens from around the world to improve his stock.
Buckfast queens and varroa tolerant queens from Italy."

By this statement I understood you to mean it is a good thing to have
Australian producers importing genetic material from Europe to improve
their stock. But now you say that importing semen into the U.S. from
Europe may be problematic. How is it safe to have the genetic material
arrive via Australia rather than the direct route? And do you know what
Australian protocols are in place with regard to the importation of queens
from Europe? (the queens must be in Bic pens not fountain pens?)

Ted