Date:
Tue, 1 Dec 2009 15:36:31 GMT
> Murray's set-up is excellent for large yards.

Yes.  I hate wasting anything so I prepare the amount of solution I need for all my hives with maybe 10% extra.  Here is what a small operator, like myself, can use:

When you do your last inspection to verify the colonies are broodless, keep track of the number of bee spaces filled with bees.  Multiply the total number of these bee-occupied bee spaces in all your hives by 5 ml.  The result is the total amount of OA solution you will need for your hives.

If you use the typical recipe of 1kg of sugar with 1 litre of water and 75 g of oxalic acid dihydrate to get 1.67 litre of 3.2% OA solution, then the number of grams of the OA dihydrate you need to accurately weigh off = 75 * (total ml's of solution for your hives calculated in the above paragraph) / 1670.  I use a beam scale to get the right OA dihydrate amount.]

When the OA dihydrate is weighed, I mix up a small batch of 1:1 sugar water & make sure all the sugar is dissolved (using hot tap water minimizes mixing time).  I use a large graduated syringe (w/o a needle), to draw off  the exact amount of ml's of solution I need and deposit it in a separate glass jar.  [I feed whatever little 1:1 sugar water is left over to the most needy colony.]  I add the weighed OA to the jar and mix until it's dissolved.

I then use a smaller syringe (again w/o a needle) to draw up 5 ml and trickle it evenly on the bees in each bee space.  5 ml or a smaller amount proportionate to how each bee space is filled with bees.  I end up discarding very little OA solution at the end.

Waldemar