From:
Blair Christian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Aug 2014 12:25:08 -0400
http://www.nature.com/ng/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/ng.3077.html

Title:
A worldwide survey of genome sequence variation provides insight into
the evolutionary history of the honeybee Apis mellifera

Abstract:
The honeybee Apis mellifera has major ecological and economic
importance. We analyze patterns of genetic variation at 8.3 million
SNPs, identified by sequencing 140 honeybee genomes from a worldwide
sample of 14 populations at a combined total depth of 634×. These data
provide insight into the evolutionary history and genetic basis of
local adaptation in this species. We find evidence that population
sizes have fluctuated greatly, mirroring historical fluctuations in
climate, although contemporary populations have high genetic
diversity, indicating the absence of domestication bottlenecks. Levels
of genetic variation are strongly shaped by natural selection and are
highly correlated with patterns of gene expression and DNA
methylation. We identify genomic signatures of local adaptation, which
are enriched in genes expressed in workers and in immune system– and
sperm motility–related genes that might underlie geographic variation
in reproduction, dispersal and disease resistance. This study provides
a framework for future investigations into responses to pathogens and
climate change in honeybees.