From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Apr 2009 14:37:06 -0400
>Pete, 19 days development time for worker bees was within the "normal" range
>of A mellifera in the US back in the 1950's (Hoopingarner, pers comm), and
>appears to still be so today (pers obs in Calif--non Africanized bees).

My 1949 copy of the "Hive and the Honeybee" states:

> Development from the laying of the egg to the emergence of the adult worker requires about 21
days, but the period may be slightly shortened in hot weather or lengthened if subjected to low
temperatures.

Further:

> Faster growth and reproduction contribute to the success of several invasive species, including the
Africanized honey bee. The Africanized honey bee has out-competed European honey bees
throughout much of the Americas due in part to their faster colony growth. One component of faster
colony growth is faster development times of African worker bees. African worker bees develop to a
size of approximately 65 mg in 19 days, while European workers develop to a size of 75-96 mg in 21
days.

"Phosphorus a possible mechanism for faster growth in Africanized honey bees"
Dina L. Grayson and Jennifer H. Fewell
School of Life Sciences, Arizona State University Tempe, AZ, 85287-4601