From:
"Kim Flottum, Editor Bee Culture" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Apr 1999 08:52:12 -0400
Hive Beetle In Ohio
Yes, hive beetles have arrived in Ohio. About 100 or so packages arrived, all from South Carolina, all from the same producer. They came to 4 different places and most, if not all of the final customers have been located. Ohio immediately applied for, and was granted an emergency Section 18 label for coumophos and it was available as of Tuesday. Ohio Inspectors have visited, or will soon be visiting each customer (beekeeper) to explain the situation. There are NO provisions for depopulation, only treatment. Ohio State Beekeeper's Association will, if it is found legal and appropriate by regulators, supply a treatment to these individuals at no cost to them if they desire. That is still being investigated and not confirmed.
That same association will be holding their summer meeting on June18, and 19 in Medina and a good portion of the meeting will be on biology, identification and control of this new pest. The OSBA is also working with State Extension and Regulatory officials to set up a survey of state beekeepers and a monitering system to not only locate, but to track the spread (or lack of spread) of this pest in Ohio.
The infected packages that arrived in Ohio were sold by Blue Ridge apiaries, according to a news release put out by the Ohio Department of Agriculture.
Kim Flottum
Editor, Bee Culture Magazine
1-800-289-7668 x3214
623 W. Liberty St. Medina OH 44256