From:
Andy Nachbaur <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Nov 1994 02:32:00 GMT
originally in conference WN-BEENET on WILDBEES (WILD BEE'S BBS)

search: HONEY   ADDED VALUE   Mail Order

   As a producer of a speciality crop like honey the opportunity to
add value to ones' production is limited, but today the future is
cloudy with the winds of change, and one of these changes has been
an increased competition for bulk market share from off shore producers.

   The small to mid-size beekeeper can look to other work to increase
the value of his production. This is not a new idea but one that merits
more study. A few years ago I attended a meeting of world wide honey
producers and was fascinated by the reports from Germany that at the
time honey was considered by many as essential in the diet for a normal
healthy life, and the the main retail outlets for honey was the drug
store, and/or mail order.

   Well honey reached our chain drug stores maybe 20-25 years ago, but
it is sold mostly as a lost leader to attract people (older) to the
store, and the quality has not always been good at any price. But still
it has become an important market for packers on the west coast who
fight to see who can wholesale honey the cheapest. Hardly the added
value market we as producer maybe looking for.

    The mail order business is another story, I don't know off hand
if its been that good for any honey producers in it, and know of at
least one who lost a lot of money after several years trying to
capitalize on a well known name. But I would like to report on one
approach that at least looks interesting and attractive in the way it
is presented in a up scale catalog for personal and business gifts.

    The company is called RENT MOTHER NATURE and if you want to send
for their 53 page catalog the address is:

               52 New Street, P.O. Box 380193
               Cambridge, MA 02238-0193
               (800) 296-9445 Customer Service

    According to what Bob MacArthur writes in the very excellent
quality catalog they "lease" you MAPLE TREES, BEE HIVES, APPLE, CITRUS,
COFFEE, and LOBSTER POTS, plus a few more.

    You receive "beautifully calligraphed and personalized Lease
Document (suitable for framing), a series of Progress Reports advising
of actual growing conditions, and much more..."putting culture back
into agriculture" MacArthur writes. In the end you get at least 20 ounces
of fresh honey per lease, and a promise for "more if your bees are
extra-industrious!".

    The catalog if full of different options and items of honey, beeswax
candles, soaps and the like along with the fruit, nuts and so on. The
added value is in the mail advertising, PROMOTION of the abstract idea
of leasing a bee hive or fruit tree, and in the attractive packaging,
ease of ordering via 800 numbers, credit cards and the fact that this
catalog is more then likely sent only to areas and people who can afford
to shop for the quality offered and are not so concerned with price
like you and I.

    After getting passed the sticker shock, the prices are not that
bad if you get passed the sticker shock.<G> Some examples:

    Single Flavor Honey Lease with 3 reports    $15.95
    Two-Flavor with 5 reports                   $29.95
    Four Flavor with 9 reports                  $57.95

By the Way the flavors are Raspberry, Blueberry, Thyme, and Cranberry
Bog. Price for Honey alone shipped in a "hand-crafted wooden box" and
the Lease for additional flavor, all the above is:

    $35.95, $49.95, and $77.95.. all has a "Guarantee of a share of the
entire output of the hive--at least 20 ounces", no additives, pure, and
natural, plus the standard litany of the back to nature crowd. You can
also by Honey by the pound, any 3 flavors at $14.95, and any four at
$17.95. They also sell Honey-Buckwheat Pancake Mix, 24 oz for $4.50.

   Well you get the idea so I will end this before it looks like a
commercial, which it is not, only intended to show how one man has
added value to what he may produce. The gifts run up to $750.00 for
the "Endless Bounty Lease" sent out monthly.

                        ttul Andy-

OH! I forgot you can Lease a Sheep too, two get you a 80 x 90 blanket
    for $249.00 and if you Lease a Lamb you get a 40 x 45 baby blanket
    for $69.95
                                          __     __
                                         /  \   /  \
                                         \   \ /   /
                       \|/          (O O)=|Wild Bees
                       @ @           \_/   \_BBS_ / `--> [log in to unmask]
*Note what is written above is not a representation of anymore then
 what is stated in the catalog, and does not represent a claim for value
 received for money spent. DO NOT EXPECT any sympathy from me if you
 were to buy something because of what you read here and were not
 satisfied. But if you do try it, or start your own mail order Honey
 business let us know how great it was, or how bad.