Date:
Mon, 24 Feb 2003 12:05:29 -0500
George, Mike & Kevin,

Thanks for the input.

As to George's questions, I've thought about most of the points you made.
In fact, possible infection was what led me to ask for input in the first
place.   I haven't autopsied for tracheal mites (because I don't know how!
George - any instructions?).  I have treated both spring and fall with
syrups laced with wintergreen oil (menthol), and as I mentioned, I fall
treated with Apistan. I've also kept mentholated grease patties in the hive
thoughout the main season.  This hive had some fairly heavy mite loads,
which I monitored using a bottom screen and sticky paper.  When I treated
with Apistan I noticed very heavy mite drops, so I don't suspect any
significant Apistan resistance.  I don't see any obvious signs of AFB/EFB.
I treated only once with Terramycin when the hive was new (3 yrs ago this
spring,
per instructions from our State Bee Inspector).

My suspicion is a combination of Parasitic Mite Syndrome, a very hard winter
(one of the worst on record here in Vermont), and a poor lay pattern.  One
thing I noticed when I opened the hive was the presence of fresh, healthy,
partly opened brood in patches scattered around the outer reaches of the
brood nest - not sensible in the winter!  I think the cluster had split to
try to
maintain the brood.  This hive also did something I think related to this
queen's somewhat scattered laying pattern.  When I inspected late last
summer, I found that most of the honey (about 85 lbs after pulling supers)
had been stored in the outer reaches of the frames.  There was a round
hollow area scattered with a combination of pollen and brood in the center
of the brood chamber.  There was no simple manipulation I could think of to
consolidate the honey toward the center of the hive, such as rotating the
two deeps, which I did, and putting as many full frames close to the brood
nest as possible.  I had planned on re-queening the hive this spring to
correct this problem, but will obviously have to start over.

FWIW - My other hives in the same yard are Russians, and seem to be doing
reasonably well this winter.

Any insights would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Todd.

BEE-L subscribers are reminded to read and follow the
guidelines for posting, which are available online at:
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/guidelines.htm