From:
Cusick Farms <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Dec 2012 10:53:31 -0500
Thanks for the info on queen annes lace, might be the variety or year near
me, my hives are out in the garden and I work out there all times of day
almost every day during the summer.  I know what your talking about with
purple centers, I see both types every year.

I always try to keep all of the smartweed out of my garden (more so than
some other weeds I can't keep up with) because it seems to act like a
horrendous japanese beetle magnet.  I'll definately start keeping an eye
out for it in the fields now though.  I'm currious now if the commercial
variety is a good honey plant.  You can buy a form of smartweed called
"kiss me over the garden gate".  The stuff grows into a bush 4feet wide and
five feet tall in the field.  One of my neighbors used to grow it for cut
flowers years ago.  I just remember the clouds of beetles that would come
off from it, might be why they don't grow it anymore, but it produced an
amazing amount of flowers.