From:
Alf Bashore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jul 2008 09:07:02 -0400
All my colonies have screened bottom boards, some type of ventilated
outer cover, and most have the BetterBee slatted rack. The chalk brood
started in my home apiary, which I suppose can be damp, though with the
4 or 5 (or more) years of drought in that location I haven't realized
the potential for dampness. On the colonies that have had more shade
than the others, I have removed or opened those small light shade trees.
Next on the agenda at the home apiary will be to relocate all my
colonies about 1000 feet away and elevated about 50 to 100 feet higher.
In that location the bees will have very early sun and very late
afternoon shade. A swale  and snow fence will help break up the northern
winter winds. Maybe I will be rewarded with higher honey yield next
year. But for now, I am just monitoring. Only one colony seems to be
currently afflicted on a small scale. I have a minor illness, which does
not permit me to do much work in any bee yard currently.

Yes, I am following all my physicians instructions, plus I use the honey
my bees gave me last year.

Alf