From:
Charles Harper <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Charles Harper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Jun 1997 12:06:40 -0600
On Thu, 12 Jun 1997 12:13:22 -0400, Ted Wout wrote:

>1.  Should I have put on the new foundation first to encourage the bees to
>draw it out?  I think that they wouldn't have made as much honey but I'd
>have drawn comb if I did.

NO , you would loose honey. I always put my comb first to maximise my honey
flow

>2.  Should I have mixed drawn comb and foundation in each super to
>encourage bees to draw it out?  Maybe every other frame?

You would get a bad draw on the sheets next to the comb unless the flow is realy
strong, it sounds like the flow is not very intense

>3.  Should I have put drawn comb on half of the hives to get some honey and
>forced others to draw out foundation for the honey flow?

That will work best, but you will have a swarming problem on the hives with
foundation

>4.  Should I have put new supers of foundation under supers of drawn comb?

I have had dispointing resusts with that .
The best results i have had with drawing foundation is with new colinies that will
not gather a large crop as comparied to the overwinted hive.
 Or pull the crop and super back with fountation if the flow has any time left, that
will get your foundation pulled and still get maximum crop.

Charles Harper
Harper's Honey farm
1000 + Colonies