From:
Eric Simms <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Mar 2008 11:13:05 -0800
Deknow wrote: "mmmm, i love the flavor of fluvalinate in the morning :(  seriously, if this is born out by other experiments, how free from treatment contamination are honey supers in most large and small operations?"

With the exception of those chemistries with short half-lives, there is undoubtedly residues getting carried over from treatment cycles into the next crop of honey.  You don't want to know what is in your honey and that is why Americans do not test their honey like Europeans.  There is probably a lot of residues in our honey.  But there is a lot of residues in everything we eat and drink, too.  The big question is how much residue can cause harm?  I doubt many of these substance levels are harmful, but we won't know for sure until all of us "lab rats" show/don't show signs of problems that can be traced back to their source.

Much of our worries about purity and trace contamination are a waste of time and effort.  Nature is full of toxic substances and nature uses them similar to the way we do.  Many plants contain naturally occurring antibiotics, pesticides, fungicides, etc.  How many are aware of the long standing debate about whether children should be allowed to drink apple juice because of the high level of natural toxins therein?  Everything on this planet is a trade off.  And purity is a myth.

Eric Simms
Simms Honey Farm
Howe, TX

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs