From:
Dann Purvis II <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Feb 2006 20:07:54 -0500
Mike,

>>I have recently heard that the longevity of instrumentally inseminated queens
is not very long, normally being two or three months....

II queen longevity/quality is usually directly proportional to the skill
level of the inseminator.  The rest is genetics, semen handling and queen
rearing/care.

All things being equal, II queens are just as good as open mated and in many
cases even better.  I believe Sue has compiled research to prove so.  I can
honestly say that has been my experience as well.

Take the course.  We need more well trained Inseminators in the industry.

Sue is in my opinion the most talented Inseminator and trainer I know.  Come
loaded with lots of questions.  Good luck and you will find the expense well
worth it.

I have inseminated thousands of queens and open mated thousands.  You have
to be touched and dedicated to do II well and for long.  If you are the kind
of person that can easily see a picture frame that is not square with the
lines of the wall you will find it easier than one that doesn't.
Anal-retentive perfectionists will find much joy with II bee breeding.

Take your time and find things about your developing skill level that makes
you happy.  Stick with it and don't get discouraged when you have
problems-just learn from them.  This helps make it enjoyable after a couple
years.  Turn on the music, fix some tea and take pride in your progress.  It
can be unbelievably satisfying to pull the honey off a hive of bees headed
by a queen that you reared, bred and selected for especially when it is
performing better than the open mated queen sitting right beside it.

Bees adapt to PROPER selection extremely fast.  I am still amazed at how
fast they adapt.  However, I believe the rapid changes I have witnessed are
also directly the result of using II.  Not that it is necessary to use II
for a breeding program but it can help speed the process up tremendously.

As far as cutting costs, one word comes to mind--EBay.  Check out Microscope
World for a scope.  Ask for Jack Ross and tell him what you are using it
for.  They have sold me a couple set-ups and know exactly what is
needed-great service and best price I could find.  Go with a Schley for II
device-I prefer forceps over the sting hooks.  Its hard to beat German
engineering.  And don't forget the Harbo Syringe.  Sue sells both.

Take the course-you won't regret it.

Sincerely,

Dann Purvis

Purvis Brothers Apiaries, Inc.