From:
"Frank I. Reiter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jul 2001 08:38:45 -0400
I came across a web site recently that advocated running hives 90 degrees
rotated from the usual orientation, which is to say that the bottom board is
modified to place the entrance on what is generally considered to be the
side of the hive.

It seems to me that this arrangement offers at least two benefits:

The entrance, when not using a reducer, is larger allowing for easier
passing of large numbers of bees and better ventilation during hot times of
the year.

When working the hive from the rear, the frames are facing the beekeeper.  I
find I work my hives from the side in order to get a better view of the
frames.  It seems to me that working from the rear and getting this same
view would make the work more efficient while increasing the safety of the
beekeeper and reducing stress on the bees (both by keeping the beekeeper
away from the front of the hive.)

Has anybody tried this and had success?  Has anybody tried this and found
problems with it?

Frank.
-----
The very act of seeking sets something in motion to meet us;
something in the universe, or in the unconscious responds as if
to an invitation.  - Jean Shinoda Bolen