From:
Michael Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Dec 2011 15:32:49 -0500
On 11/30/2011 10:09 PM, allen wrote:
> PS.  In case you or others reading get the wrong impression, Mike, I really  appreciate  your comments and  experience,   and  recommend  your methods to those in your climate.  I even try them here from time to time.

  I'm not getting the wrong idea Allen. I know Alberta isn't the lower
48. I know a little about Alberta beekeeping through conversations with
Medhat and an Alberta beekeeper Sindey G. And I'm certainly not trying
to even attempt to sway folks with million dollar beekeeping outfits.
They have their acts together and know the best ways for them to replace
their bees and keep their numbers up.

I am speaking to the beekeepers with 5, or 10, or 50, or 100 colonies
than need a sustainable way to replace their bees. Unfortunately,
beekeeping at that lever is stuck at the thigh to the packaged bee
industry. With all the issues in that industry, folks are finally
realizing that relying on packaged bees is not sustainable.

I still think if you can winter doubles successfully, you can winter two
story double nucs. Did you ever hear of Vernon R Vickery. I just learned
of his work last week and have ordered his book online. Unfortunately,
VR passed away in August, and I wasn't able to meet him. He was
entomology professor emeritus at McGill and advocated wintering over
late summer and fall nucs...this in the late 1980's...he wrote his book
in '91. Quebec isn't Alberta, but it's getting closer.

 >>Personally, early on in my  career,  I lost more money believing stuff
written from New York and Vermont than I would care to confess.<<

Garbage in garbage out.
Mike