From:
Joel Govostes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Apr 1997 21:02:27 +0100
The Duragilt is certainly easy to install.  Also, easy to replace, as you
just punch out the comb.  This works especially well in cold weather.  Then
you can flex and bend the comb and the wax will separate from the plastic
sheet very easily and fall right off in chunks.

The "bald spots" are annoying.  Some colonies will chew the wax down to the
plastic along the lower edge, especially if next to the entrance.  Then
they won't build on the bare plastic ever again.

Still, considering the ease of use, Duragilt has certain advantages over
wired wax foundation.  Just to remove a bad comb from a frame can be a pain
with the wired stuff.  I have found in my apiaries that the combs
well-built on Duragilt (nice, even, worker comb "wood-to-wood") are the
best combs in the hives, and tend to stay that way.  Every once in a while
the bald spots will show up, but it is not that common.  (Sometimes this is
a result of mouse-damage, too.)

If I have the Duragilt, I suppose I prefer it.  My stock right now is
almost all crimp-wired fdn, which I also cross-wire into the frames.
Economical, but probably not as much if you figure in the time involved.
Haven't tried the molded foundations yet.

Anyone have a vote for "Duracomb?"  It is Duragilt without the metal edges.
It is a bit cheaper, but I've never tried it.  I wonder if the metal edges
are so necessary.

Cheers,

JWG              Freeville, NY