From:
Rick Hough <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Sep 1993 11:50:20 +0000
Date    9/2/93
Subject RE>wax moth
From    Rick Hough
To      E. Southwick, Discussion of Bee Biology

        Reply to:   RE>wax moth
Most good beginner beekeeping books talk about wax-moth prevention.
Memory tells me that Paradichlorobenzene (PDB) crystals are generally
used to store stacks of supers or brood chambers with a pile of PDB
at the top of the stack.  The stack needs to be relatively air-tight (i.e.
solid top & bottom covers on the stacks, and some folks tape the joints
between the boxes, too), to keep the PDB from disipating.  Also, good
ventilation around the stacks is important, as you don't want the PDB
fumes to collect in an area where people might breath them.  I'm not
sure if PDB is good at eradicating wax moth once a serious infestation
has settled into the equipment - more drastic measures might be
called for. Also, be sure to air out any comb treated with PDB for a
couple days before returning them to the hives - the bees don't care
for PDB any more than the moths do! Send me e-mail directly if you have
further questions.

Good Luck!

Rick Hough, Hamilton, MA  (NE of Boston)
Internet: [log in to unmask]