From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 1999 22:45:10 -0700
> please read below their opinion on the US honey market (as per the Feb. 15
> '99 report, please bear in mind prices are expressed into Metric Tons):
> ...Actual Price: U$S 1,200-1,400 FOB beekeeper; U$S 970 - 1,230 FOR 85 MM.
> General comments: beekeepers holding for higher prices (hoping U$S 1,330 -
> 1,400) packers trying to push prices down or not buying at all. Packers
> interest in imported honey is very low, they prefer to go day by day with
> domestic purchases, only buying as they need something"

This does not correspond to what we are seeing here in Canada or the
offers I am receiving by email from Argentinian beekeepers.

I wonder about the authenticity and the date of that report.  If it is not
bogus, it seems 'way off on the high side.  At the particular time
mentioned, prices had already sunk below the 80 cent Canadian mark here
and in past weeks I have seen offers around the 72 cent mark and heard
that people had sold in that vicinity. ($1.00 Canadian is ~65 cents US)

That 72 Canadian cents translates into something more like $1030 / metric
tonne, if I am figuring correctly.

What gives?

And, I guess I should step up here and stick up for a friend of mine...

> In an attempt to gain both credibility and respect they are working on
> a web page soon be launched into the Internet world.

I'd like to set things straight regarding Wayne, and maybe the IHEO,
seeing as his name came up and some things were said.

I have been in *regular* contact with Wayne by phone (his 800 number) and
in person at meetings for years.  He has always quoted fair prices and
been scrupulously honest in his reports to beekeepers.

Knowing Wayne, I could not believe for one minute that he would become
involved in any effort to drive prices down -- or up.  He has a sterling
reputation among Canadian beekeepers as an honest broker.  In fact, when
our co-op was overwhelmed with honey this year, I sold him a load.  There
are lots of buyers I wouldn't even talk to.

I've been aware of the IHEO for some time.  In fact Wayne has mentioned
the organisation to me in our discussions of honey prices.  He knows I'm a
honey producer, and one with a big mouth to boot, so I don't think the
IHEO is a secret society -- in Canada at least.

My understanding is that the IHEO has a strong interest in maintaining
orderly markets.  So do I and anyone who makes a living producing,
trading, or packing honey, and so does our government for that matter.
FWIW, The Canadian government loans money to beekeepers to keep them all
from being forced to dump their honey the minute the crop comes in, thus
destroying the market. I hope other countries do the same.

Anyhow, I find this discussion interesting and important.  I hope we can
continue it without demonizing any person or group, because that way we
can all work together.

Allen

"If I make a living off it, that's great--but I come from a culture
where you're valued not so much by what you acquire but by what you
give away," -- Larry Wall (the inventor of Perl)