From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Apr 2009 21:19:35 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter L Borst" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, April 09, 2009 6:22 PM
Subject: Re: [BEE-L] Final Wake-up Call

Randy:
Pete, I heartily concur, except that I would tone down the word "abuse."
Well-meaning beekeepers applying legal miticides per label instructions
still inadvertently poisoned their colonies.

The below beekeepers fall into the above category Randy is talking about.

> It must be emphasized that coumaphos residues were found in 37 out of the
> 50 honey samples (74%). They ranged between 0.10 and 4.8 ug/kg [parts per
> billion] and they originated exclusively from the acaricide Perizin (a.i.
> coumaphos 3.4%), which was used by the apiculturists inside the hives to
> control Varroa.

* originated exclusively from the legal aracicide Perizin ( checkmite in the
U.S.) *

74% of honey samples? Bayer said would not happen. I am sorry but I do not
want up to 4.8 PPB of the organophosphate ( mustard gas ) nerve agent in the
honey I feed my grand babies! I also do not need some  FDA guy telling me
its ok to injest 4.8 PPB of an organophosphate.

I think its time we did as Brian suggests and push for all section 18's for
the Bayer product checkmite stopped! Plenty of better choices!

bob