Date:
Thu, 24 Jul 2003 23:33:06 EDT
I have no desire for a FAVORITE book about bees, which implies pleasant
FICTION.

With all the problems caused by the introduction of mites in our apiaries,
tracheal
in 1984 and varroa in 1987, A book, irrespective of the fame of the author
and his
writings, that has been published prior to about 1990 is basically OBSOLETE.
HARSH WORDS, you might say; but to often the beginner, novice, or beeHAVER
will
depend on THAT book alone for beekeeping knowledge, and his bees DIE even
though
he "followed the book" written by some famous beekeeper.  That is like using
your
1978 Chevrolet service manual to tune up your 1998 Chevrolet which now has
electric ignition instead of points and condenser.

I think every beginner would be wise to have and STUDY Diana Sammataro's 3rd
Edition, 1998, of the Beekeeper's Handbook.  The drawings of bees, brood,
pollen,
nectar, and honey inside a hive at different times of the year are
spectacular, as
are all the many other drawings to depict the good and bad things of hive
management.

When a beeHAVER gets about two years of experience, he and EVERY beeKEEPER
should have on his desk, and well worn from constant referral, the 1992
EXTENSIVELY REVISED EDITION of THE HIVE AND THE HONEY BEE.  Older editions were
of value in their day, but OBSOLETE now in 2003.

There are those out there who will disagree with me.  You see, I have only
been
keeping bees for 71 years, starting in 1932, but I am a SLOW LEARNER, and
hence
I am still learning each year how to improve my honey crop from my ten year
average yield of 132 lbs./colony in nectar poor Maryland.

You are never too old to LEARN, but too many people are too LAZY to learn.

George Imirie
Certified EAS Master Beekeeper
Now in my 71st year of beekeeping successfully in Maryland and Virginia
Founder and still President (18 years) of Montgomery County Beekeepers Assn.
with
its 150 paid members and 10 EAS MASTER BEEKEEPERS of the 133 total in the U.S.
Past President Of Maryland State Beekeepers
Author of George's monthly PINK PAGES @www.beekeeper.
org/george_imirie/index.html and 5 other websites
Author of American Beekeeping Federation Newsletter Hobbyist Tips