From:
LLOYDSPEAR <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Aug 2002 09:09:05 -0400
Mike wonders whether a Silver Queen would successfully work with frames from
a 9-frame super.

Mike, you have one of the finest machines ever made.  ( I am jealous...If
only I could find a used Silver Queen in good condition!)  It will handle
frames from a 9-frame super with ease.  Better yet, consider going with only
8 frames in a super!

I watched a commercial guy uncap frames from 8-frame supers with a Silver
Queen, and it was a joy to see.  Since, all my supers are equipped with
frame holders for 8 frames, as they are also much easier to uncap with a
knife or Maxant Plane.

If you go with 9 frames you can easily do the spacing with your fingers and
thumb.  If you go with 8 frames I suggest you invest in spacers (which are
plenty cheap).  But I know another commercial guy who only runs 8 frames and
does the spacing with his thumb.

A study some years ago found that you get more honey from a super with 9
frames than with 10, and more from a super with 8 frames than with 9.

Lloyd
Lloyd Spear, Owner of Ross Rounds, manufacturer of comb honey equipment
for beekeepers and Sundance pollen traps.
http://www.rossrounds.com