From:
Hugo Thone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Aug 1999 13:10:59 +0200
Tom Barrett wrote :

> Hello All
>
> Maybe this is a crazy notion, but here goes anyway!.
>
> Suppose a Queen Breeder in a varroa infested area wishes to send queens to a
> (presumed) non infested area, can the queen and the accompanying workers be
> examined with magnification prior to dispatch to ensure that these bees at
> least do not have the varroa mites?. If it is a proposition, then obviously
> the time taken to do this would have to be taken into account in determining
> the price.
>
> As I said, maybe it is a crazy idea - what do the members of the list think?.
>
> Sincerely

Believe me Tom, this IS a crazy idea.  I guarantee you that within
two years every Irish beekeeper will have varroa mites in his hives,
no matter how carefully you investigate the bees you are shipping.
IMHO the only sound advice is : use medicaments before it is
too late and use them as described on the label.

Hugo

ps. varroa is not the end : whe are living (happily) with it
for more than 10 years  ;-(

--
Hugo Thone (VJ93)               email [log in to unmask]
Alcatel Telecom                 phone (32) 3 240 94 52