From:
Jon Bucher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Nov 2014 12:32:50 -0500
Carbs for thought: Osmosis
At the cellular level a human body doesn’t react differently to the dextrose from fruits and vegetables to the dextrose of a Snicker bar. But, the process from the mouth to the blood stream is fraught with chemistry, biology and mechanics.

Osmosis is a process where water is forced across a semi permeable membrane by osmotic pressure.

In humans a hypertonic diet can pull water from elsewhere into the gut causing diarrhea.  I wonder what the differences are in the osmolarity of HFCS compared to honey.

Honey is capped at or below 19%. I don’t know what percent means here. In math, percent is: part divided by whole times 100. In medicine, 70% dextrose is: 70 grams of sugar per one hundred mils.

In the human blood stream, isotonic osmolarity is somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 . D70 is either 3460 or 3640, I don't remember. In humans high osmotic concentrations, whether from sugar or amino acids cause diarrhea. Fats don't and can actually buffer.  Bees must be set up to handle higher osmotic pressures. I wonder if the differences could impact the studies cited here.