From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 May 1993 07:26:17 EDT
Michael Moroney <[log in to unmask]> queries:

>                                       ...  Could someone give me an
> estimate how many "boxes" I'll need from now until winter, assuming a
> "good" year?....

How much room depends on a number of things (your geographic location,
climate, feeding, etc.).  If you continue feeding your bees regularly,
they will need room sooner than if you let them fend for themselves.
Regular feeding will require a second hive body in 6 to 8 weeks.  If
you continue feeding after you add the second hive body you will need
honey super(s) 4 to 6 weeks after that.  This also depends on the kind
of forage season your area is having.  If it's good (nice days with no
drought like conditions, nice enough to have plenty of forage days, but
not so nice that vegetation dries out) then your hive will build up
quickly and you MAY need two honey supers.  For the first year, starting
from a package, you don't want to take too much honey from your bees.
Your goal should be to get them established rather than expecting copious
yields.  In my area (Upstate New York), I aim for a single super harvest
from a first year package, and this usually requires continuous feeding
until the second hive body is occupied and nearly completely drawn.
Time-wise this is usually 8 to 10 weeks after I start the package, which
is usually a couple of weeks into the early summer honey flow (clovers
and such).  This leaves the tail end of the summer flow and all of the
fall flow for the bees to produce the harvest honey.  Again, your goal in
the first year should be to get your bees established, not maximum honey
harvest (taking too much the first summer can lead to starvation during
the first winter).  Be patient and go for the flow next year!

Finally, the best advice anyone can offer is to find and join a local
beekeepers association.  The advice you will get will be from beekeepers
familiar with your area and will be more valuable than the information
you will get from the literature or this list.  Check with your local
cooperative extension for information on a beekeepers association near
you.

Good luck!