From:
William Lord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jul 2013 11:31:04 -0400
Randy;

My data set is pretty slim in that doing the microscopy myself is on my
'round tu-it' list and I have yet to follow your lead and get with it.  I
have the state lab run spore counts and I have had 2 yards with high spore
counts in which I see dwindling in mid fall and very low overwinter
survival rates.  My field observation for Nosema i.d. is the bees begin to
dwindle and stop taking feed.  I keep a 2 gallon division board feeder in
the top hive body and when I pop the lid I can see which hives have stopped
feeding quickly.  I am seeing the problems when feeding in mid to late fall
for winter stores and then during spring build-up.  I have been using
formic flash boards and oxalic for mites and use alcohol washes to track
efficacy so my Nosema diagnosis is a rather weak process of elimination.  I
have been spraying a combination of Nozevit and Fumidil over the top of
suspected Nosema cases and I think I am getting a positive response, but
this is anecdotal, thus my query to the list.

Given your prompting, however, I intend to fire up the microscope....

thanks,
Bill