From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 11 Sep 1997 18:26:37 -0600
There has been a lot of discussion based on what people thought I said --
rather than what I said.  It is amazing how many people read very quickly
think they see something, and miss the point.

A few did understand, though, and I thank them for their thoughtful
contributions.

I am concerned about volume on the list and also about the integrity of
the archives.  I have more to say on this and will post more later
after I have had time to re-write the essay on the matter in (probably a
vain) hope of not triggering a flood of responses to things I did not say.

Anyhow, in the meantime, here is an attempt to clarify the most popular
confusions and perhaps salve some wounded feelings:

*Newbies*:  What I said was that newbies (to our group) asking
questions without researching what had already been said on the matter
are a causing a problem.  It appears that people just subscribe and the
next day jump in and ask very basic questions which have been discussed
before, simply because they wish to generate live personal discussion --
when they could read a previous one that answers the question.  I
also said that it was perhaps because they did not know how or where to
look (not that they are bad people or not welcome).

*Newbees* on the other hand are simply those who are new to bees and many,
if not most, newbees and newbies are pretty careful to make sure that they
ask questions that count.  Of course some newbees are newbies and not all
newbies are newbees, if you follow.

At any rate I never meant to imply that newbies or newbees are not an
essential part of this group.  I did indicate though that there needs to
be some way to direct them to answers that are already in place .

More to follow.

Allen