Date:
Mon, 25 Jan 2010 20:35:59 +0000
>> I don't follow this logic at all.  If a colony has the traits...

The point I beleive was not to give up breeding for traits but only to recognize that mites can arrive en  mass and cause problems. Until then, we have miticides which are increasingly ineffective, and management. When the available miticides are gone, then " the only thing we may have is management", until superbee arrives on the scene. Randy et al, in your opinion, how close are we now in terms of % groomed within a few hours, % mite supression, and the time when all beeks will use stock will be resistant yet maintain all desireable production / ecomonic qualities.? Is % groomed by unit time  a selected trait? I dont think it is a criteria tested in our Ontario Bee program. How is the experiment set up? I am not involved in breeding and so I truly do not know.

Too bad the dumb mite wouldnt just evolve to be a more successful parasite, and not wipe out its host population.

Greg

Everton ON