From:
Stan Sandler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Sep 2011 04:49:11 -0300
Bob wrote:

>Would a mix of half 42% and sucrose be prone to crystallization without
adding
water?

Bob, could you be confusing HFCS 42 with 42 per cent.  The 42 may refer to
the fructose, not the sugar percent.

So, for instance, HFCS 55 is 55 percent fructose, but 77 percent total
sugars (ten percent more than the most concentrated liquid cane sugar you
can buy or make, a saturated solution is 67 percent with sucrose).

Without dilution HFCS 55 is much more prone to crystallization than cane
sugar.  I am told that HFCS 42 is even MORE prone to crystallization, and
that is why it is not commonly used by beekeepers, I thought.  Also, I think
that HFCS 55 is more closely related to the fructose / glucose balance of
honey.

Sucrose here only 10 percent more expensive than HFCS 55 this year, so I am
using it.

I pity the poor people who need to burn corn in their stomach not their
vehicle.

Crystallization is a fascinating process.  When sucrose solution
crystallizes, it often separates and for quite awhile the liquid and solid
phases are separate (like in a pasteurized honey that is crystallizing).
When HFCS 55 crystallizes, it is not long before the whole thing turns to a
soft white paste), similar to an unheated honey that is creaming.

Bees have trouble with crystals.  They do not dissolve easily in cold
water.  In spring bees here haul more water than any other time of year,
more than cooling water, for trying to reliquefy granulated honey (my
impression).   If strong enough and feeling hopeful, they soon toss out the
crystals.

Stan