From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 May 2008 09:42:55 -0400
Genetically, the bee has fewer
> immune sites in its DNA than fruit flies and
> mosquitoes, so it is  disadvantaged from the start.

This, according to some in the genome project, is because it is well
compensated by disease suppressing traits. I honestly, do not see any
disadvantage here, AND I do not see any comparison to fruit files,,, bees
are a social animals, fruit flies are NOT.  A colony, described as
a ‘Superorganism’ since 19c, should perhaps be viewed as such when
considering immunity.  Immunity at the colony level to the most part
coming in the form of disease fighting traits, not resistance at the
genetic level according to comments by some in the honeybee genome working
group.

> What is truly objectionable is the tarring of the industry
> by such a broad brush. Most of those who have lost
> bees to CCD are excellent beekeepers,,,

I never ‘tar’ the industry,  I will however occasionally tar chosen
practices.  An excellent beekeeper, makes not a successful beekeeper!
More importantly, the management practices adopted by excellent beekeepers
is the more likely reason for success.

,,,Any immune
> system has trouble dealing with something new.

My biggest fear is that scientist will again come up with a treatment to
prop up bees immunity at the bees level, again neglecting the
superorganism as a whole, causing further suffering long term by weakening
the bee on the side of adaptive disease fighting traits.  Bees are already
in possession of the behavioral disease suppressing traits needed to build
the foundation for supressing these diseases.   IMO, by seeking treatment
alternatives to these new diseases are perhaps neglecting the most
important contributor to the colonies immune system found in (behavioral
traits).

Best Wishes,
Joe
feralbeeproject.com