From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 6 Mar 1997 12:26:03 -0700
>What is Homasote (Tentest)?

> As I understand it from a building supply dealer: tentest is now a
> generic name for a very light weight fibre board about .5 inches thick.
>  It has been made for decades.  It can be used for this treatment but
> disintegrates quickly when soaked in acid.

> Homasote is a trade name for a denser fibre board that will take longer
> to absorb the acid but lasts longer.  It also costs about 3 times as
> much as tentest. i.e. about $30 here in Toronto.  It is used as a floor
> underlayment where good insulation properties are required.

> Do not confuse either with the thin pressed fiberboard generically
> called hardboard here in Canada,  I understand that both tentest and
> Homasote are made in the US so building suppliers there should be able
> to help you.

At a recent seminar held in Edmonton, a researcher from Manitoba mentioned
that for slow release, they had found *boot felt* to be idea to use in
slow release bags.

However, it was also at that same seminar, that there was reference to
some ongoing unpublished work which has shown a dramatic drop in honey
yield in hives treated with slow release formic in the spring -- compared
to rapid release methods which showed unchanged, or higher yields.  After
this revelation, the emphasis of the talk was strictly on quick release.

This work in question has apparently not been released and is preliminary.
The tests need to be extended over more years and more hives, however they
*appear* to indictate a disturbing trend.  I heard exactly the same story
last year, so I *assume* that another year's work has confirmed the
previous results.  At this point, though I guess this has report the
status of rumour or anecdote.

Nonetheless, I personally would not seriously consider using slow release
formic in the spring until this question is proven one way or the other.

It seems logical to me that any method that exposes larvae, pupae and
adults to prolonged formic exposure to get at the mites with an
'acaracidal effect' (I have learned the meaning of the word 'acaracide',
thanks to all) is going to be harder on the bees than a method which
periodically knocks down the phoretic varroa and damages the TM in the
adult tracheae and dissipates quickly. As the Chinese say "a short pain is
not like a long pain".

Anyhow, it is reassuring to see that many people are working on this from
many angles, and it is interesting to see the divergences of opinion.

Allen Dick                                  VE6CFK
Rural Route One, Swalwell, Alberta  Canada T0M 1Y0
     [log in to unmask] & [log in to unmask]
       http://www.internode.net/HoneyBee/