From:
Roger White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jul 2002 21:31:22 +0300
Mike Tooley,
Capensis is only a problem when it invades colonies of another race - not when it is in it's own area-IF the Lusbee is capensis, then there wouldn't be a problem would there? Only in the areas where it would come into contact with other races of bees.  The fact that the Lusbee seems to be quite different from other bees in both behaviour and wing venation (it was mentioned that is has an extra vein in the wing) suggests to me that we are dealing with an unknown taxon - Why hasn't some expert in apis taxonomy been down there to see what is going on and where exactly the Lusbee fits into the known subspecies.
Best regards
Roger White
Superbee Cyprus