From:
John Caldeira <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 30 Nov 2001 20:07:18 -0600
Until recently, I thought that keeping honey WARM was a satisfactory way to
store honey and avoid granulation prior to sale.  Then I read in "The Hive
and Honey Bee" book (Dadant, 1992, p 904-5) that temperatures above 81F
(27C) caused the quality of honey to deteriorate more quickly.  The relevant
text appears below.  The last sentence of each paragraph especially concern
me:

"White et al. (1962) made an extended study of the effects of storage at
ordinary temperatures (23-28C, 73-82F) for periods of 1.5 - 2 years, with
statistical evaluation of the results. .... Major changes were found in
nearly all attributes: in the 2-year period 13% of the dextrose and 5% of
the levulose were converted to other carbohydrates, the relatively low
sucrose content was increased 73%, other disaccharide sugars increased 68%,
and the more complex sugars increased 13%.  Diastase decreased at a rate of
about 3% per month, and total acidity increased about 0.5% per month."

"All of these changes can be avoided by storing honey at low temperatures.
For this purpose temperature should be 10C (50F) for unheated honey; great
advantage will result from avoiding temperatures above 15C (59F).  Actually,
honey kept at very low temperatures for years cannot be distinguished from
the freshest honey.  However, the interval between 10-15C (50-59F) must be
avoided because granulation is promoted with accompanying increased
liability to fermentation.  Storage above 27C (81F) should be avoided, even
for relatively short times since deterioration in color, flavor, and enzyme
content is particularly rapid."

I am curious how other beekeepers are storing honey to maintain quality.
Many sideline and hobby beekeepers such as myself are using a "warm box" or
"warm room", but now I wonder whether the quality deterioration is
significant enough to rethink this.  Comments?

John

John Caldeira
Dallas, Texas, USA
http://www.outdoorplace.org/beekeeping