From:
Intense Red <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Mar 2009 13:54:28 -0500
 > The lettuce salmonella recall was on a field that was "organic" but not
 > yet certified.

   Organic pretty much means "naturally, without man-made chemicals", doesn't
it?

   From what I've read, organic doesn't mean "super clean" and doesn't prevent
corner-cutting, money-grubbing farmers from raising and selling tainted
produce. The percentage of such farmers may (or may not) be smaller in the
organic realm, but nothing in the organic guidelines I've read prevents such
farmers.

   To me, such incidents are simply yet more evidence to decentralize our
corporate food system, for more strenuous FDA food inspections, and for
eaters to get to know their food producers.

 .
 Randy

--
Fast fact: Canada used to have an average life expectancy lower than the US.
But now, after Canada adopted a single-payer national health care system,