From:
Samizdat® <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Nov 2001 21:19:00 +1200
Peter Borst wrote:
>I have seen Tom Seeley's lab and he uses slow motion
>video tapes to study bee behavior. I think we could learn a lot if a
>mite infested hive was video taped and we actually observed the
>interaction between bees and mites.

> I certainly hope along with the rest that some kind of an odor based
>trap or repellent could be devised, regardless of its scientific
>basis.

        If science were still planned in the public interest, rather than
being left to "market forces", much video observation would already have
been done,  *with*  a  controllable 'sniffer' tube near the TV camera probe
to sample the air near any interestingly-behaving bee, piped to a gas
chromatograph/mass spectrometer rig to analyse odours.  This would also be
a good way to study the roles of drones within the hive (thoughtlessly
assumed by many to be nil).
        But no tycoon has thought this would bring profit, so it remains
undone.