From:
Medhat Nasr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Mar 2009 08:10:43 -0600
>  Medhat added some other refinements that made this a bit easier for the
>average beekeeper.

What refinements?

When  we tested thousands of colonies when I was in Ontario, we found the
following to get reliable results you need to:
1. Pick a frame of capped brood that contains pupae with light pink eyes.
2. use a smaller ring that isolates 30-50 cells to be treated with Liquid
nitrogen.
3. Use 4 replicates /hive that means 4 rings placed on a single capped
brood frame Then apply your liquid nitrogen . The total cells treated is
120-200 capped cells in each hive.
4. Apply 1-2 scopes  (30ml) of Liquid nitrogen first to all 4 rings then
repeat second treatment after 1-2 minutes. This will ensure that pupae
were killed. Think of it is freeze / thaw out system to kill the pupae. In
some cases when we applied one time liquid nitrogen, pupae survived and
emerged as adults without any problem.
5. The frame will be placed back in the hive in the same position as it
was before applying the liquid nitrogen.
6. After 24 h count all uncapped and removed pupae. Calculate % uncapped
and removed pupae. All removed cells or partially removed should be
considered uncapped, too. In fact you can compare uncapping vs removal
activities for each hive. Keep in mind these are two different traits.
7. You need to take the average of the 4 readings for each hive to present
the hive activities for hygienic. We used to consider only removal of
pupae is the final criterion for selection of the hygienic trait.
8. Test should be done away from the honey flow time. Honey flow will
encourage bees to remove and clean cells faster. Your figures will be over
estimating the trait  if you test during the honey flow.

Medhat