From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Mar 2013 06:32:36 -0700
>Seems to me that it is not possible to produce 'scientific' proof that
these pesticides are unsafe.

Hardly!  It would be the easiest experiment conceivable.  Simply place
colonies in the middle of fields of treated corn or canola and see whether
they suffer health effects.  This experiment is done on hundreds of
thousands of colonies each season, and the result is negative.  So perhaps
the reason that it is impossible to produce "scientific" proof is that the
residues in nectar and pollen are simply not concentrated enough to cause
noticable health problems in colonies.

>All that we have is anecdotal evidence which is dismissed in a rather
> superior way.  But what is wrong with andedotal evidence?

Peter, what about the anecdotal evidence from virtually every beekeeper
that I've spoken with from corn, soy, or canola areas?  They nearly
universally tell me that they have no noticable problems, and that their
bees suffer from far fewer pesticide problems than in previous years.  Why
do you dismiss their anecdotal reports out of hand?

>When thousands of beekeepers with no scientific training tell you that
there is a problem, surely their voices should be heard and those with the
necessary training should investigate.

Peter, it is easy for you to toss out a figure of "thousands of
beekeepers."  In actuality, could you even cite 10 who have experienced
actual problems due to neonicotinoid seed treatment of crops, other than
the obvious planting dust issue with maize?  Willful exaggeration does not
help in sober discussion of an issue such as this.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA