Date:
Sat, 31 Mar 2012 22:53:14 -0400
> hard to guess the systemic levels of plants in or near those fields or
> systemic levels in gutation water.

There are necessarily a lot of assumptions and simplifications in the various
studies to which we are exposed and which some find convincing.

Some factors are dismissed or discounted if they are too difficult for a big, clumsy,
earthbound mammal to observe.

One that worries me is the tendency of humans to take relatively huge samples,
mix them together and analyse them, averaging out any variations, then
assume that they represents what the bee experiences.

On the other hand, each bee takes a tiny sample and lives or dies by that
sample.  The scale is different and we all know that effects don't always scale.

Recognizing, then explaining the various other shortcuts, limitations, fallacies and
false assumptions which cause a lot of 'science' to miss the mark is not easy when
these errors are part of our makeup and the conclusions reached are congruent
with our hopes.

The use -- or misuse -- of statistical terminology makes inaccurate, inconclusive
and flawed work appear decisive.  We must be very, very careful what we believe.

We too often see what we want to see or are told to expect to see.  I worry
about confirmation bias and false sense of correctness that comes of being in the
middle of a herd.

We look back at previous great civilizations and wonder how they could have
flourished, given what they accepted as truths and how transparently false their
'science' was.

Here on BEE-L, we have regular readings from our latest scientific 'gospels', but it
pays to compare what these 'gospels' say to what we see out our own window
every so often.

It is also worth noting that the beekeepers on the ground and out in the fields can't
always concur with what respected scientists of our time claim as truth.