From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jan 2018 13:03:11 -0500
> >Interesting that trehalose is insect blood sugar (ours is glucose).
> I've just never seen it mentioned outside of that context.

When we were working for DARPA, the agency was looking at this in terms of potential for extending longevity.  Also, the agency was looking at some microbes with double DNA that apparently could survival for eons in rock.  The notion was that over long periods of time, the extra DAN could 'fix' any damage from UV, toxins, because it had a spare genetic template.   The odds that say a mutation would occur at the same point in both sets of DNA were low.  So, if damaged, the organisms used the 'spare' as a repair template with undamaged DNA.