From:
Peter Bray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 May 1996 14:29:42 +1300
PDB Crystals, (Para Dichloro Benzene) commonly used around the World for Wax
Moth control contaminate honey!.  Combs stored with PDB will likely produce
honey with traces of Benzene. This is detected in honey imported into Europe
and has hit the Press there on more than one occassion.

There are other metthods of Wax Moth control.  Low temperatures (below 0
degs. Celsius for a couple of days will kill both lesser and greater Wax
Moth eggs.  High concentrations of CO2 (greater than 80%) will also kill Wax
Moth eggs.  In New Zealand, the lesser Wax Moth tends to have a range
further South (colder) than the greater Wax Moth.  In the warmer North
Island where they have more problems with the greater Wax Moth, many
commercial producers store supers in sheds with raised floors and wire
netting as a flooring.  This keeps the supers well ventilated and cooler,
thus minimising Wax Moth damage.

As producers of a natural product, we should resist the urge to dive for the
nearest chemical cabinet to overcome our management problems.
Regards,
Peter Bray,
Airborne Honey Ltd. Leeston, New Zealand
Fax 64-3-324-3236,  Phone 64-3-324-3569  [log in to unmask]