Date:
Sun, 10 May 2009 07:55:06 -0400
It always surprises me that people are so mystified at how nature works.  If
we take a step back and look at the honey bee-mite resistance and compare
that to bacteria-antibiotic resistance we all should have realized that 100%
of the feral hives would not be mite killed.  There would be that small
percentage that would have survived.  Those few hives would have continued
to produce bees resistant to mites.  I also don't see why we would try to
correlate the survival of the feral with the survival seen in commercial
hives.  Yes we are breeding for resistance, but we are still treating hives
with everything under the sun for mites, foulbrood, nosema and on and on and
on.  As Jeff Goldbloom's character said in Jurassic Park-Nature finds a way.
It just takes time.  In fact in time, I fully expect there will be an
adapted AHB living in the cold cold north sometime down the road-unless we
totally destroy the planet first.

Coleene